Saturday 25 May 2013

River Swale at Richmond

I was in Richmond town centre early one weekend recently whilst working on another project and so I thought I'd make the most of it with a quick castle walk. Part way round though I decided to take the steep steps down and do the walk round at river level.


I normally stay up on the high path but down at the riverbank you really get a good impression of how the castle dominates the landscape.


This really is a lovely place to walk - even though you are just minutes from the market place this feels far removed from anyone and at this time of day the only sound was the water rushing by. For those having a short break whilst on the Coast To Coast this is well worth having a look.


Even in the shallow fast-flowing river, an odd bend allows the water to slow right up providing a tranquil scene.


And the falls are always a good viewing point as the water cascades only a metre or two but it is always a compelling scene. Like sitting round a campfire gazing into the flames, somehow I never get bored of looking at the water hurtling over the edge of the falls.



A quick sharp walk uphill and I was back at the market square, the walk is literally only ten minutes, but sufficient to put a smile on my face for the rest of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment